Pages

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Most Boston-filled Day Yet

A few weeks ago I had friends come visit me in Boston. I was thankful because it finally gave me a chance to do a bunch of touristy things I've been dying to do! They only had 1 day in Boston so we packed as much as we could into that day... my feet are still hurting!

USS Constitution






My friends that were visiting are in the Navy, so naturally the first (and most important) stop of the day was to tour the 200+ year old ship, the USS Constitution. We woke up extra early, got our Dunkin Donuts coffee (according to them, getting DD is part of the "Boston Experience") and then headed across Boston to Charlestown Navy Yard. I loved it. We were probably there for 2.5 hours touring the Constitution and the newer USS Cassin Young.  

The North End





Then we followed the Freedom Trail (a red line that runs through Boston that takes you to all of the historic landmarks - it's a goal of mine to walk the whole thing!) from the Charlestown Navy Yard to the North End to have lunch! The North End is full of amazing italian restaurants but we weren't in the mood for anything heavy so we settled for a quick bite at a local sandwich shop.





While we were waiting for the ride to our next destination we found a little park to rest in, we had been walking everywhere and our feet needed a break. I don't know if you can tell from the pictures but the weather was AMAZING. It was cool enough to walk around without melting but warm enough to lay out in a park. 

Sam Adams Brewery







Next stop was a favorite of mine. Sam Adams Brewery!! The 'information' portion of the tour lasted ~20 mins and the 'tasting' portion lasted ~40 mins. Our tour guide was hilarious and so informative. I can't even begin to pretend I'm any sort of beer expert so everything I learned on the tour (even the super simple stuff) was new to me. We even got to keep our baby beer glasses - how cute?!

Red Sox Game





Last stop of the day - FENWAY! Full disclosure: this was my first time to Fenway. However, I always pictured my first time as a magical event with a whole day dedicated to nothing but Fenway/Red Sox. Unfortunately, I was so exhausted I couldn't fully appreciate it. Plus, we didn't buy tickets beforehand so we had to do 'standing room only' (just what my feet need at this point...) so that took away from the experience as well. 

Therefore, I am striking this Red Sox game from the record and declaring my next visit to be my first TRUE visit it to Fenway. I intend to make it as magical as possible.

While exhausted at the end of the day I'm glad we were able to pack so much of Boston into one day.  There is nothing more fun than running around and exploring this city. 

2 comments:

  1. FUN! You've hit some of the best parts of Boston. Def go back to Fenway, it is amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog! I'm in love. This is an amazing post. Boston (also where I live) is amazing. Fenway is my favorite thing ever. When you were in the North End I really hope you got the chance to go to Mikes Pastry's, To. Die. For. Hope you are enjoying Boston. We should plan a day to meet up :)

    xo. Kailagh

    ReplyDelete